Graz, the capital city of Styria, is a vibrant and charming city that offers visitors a unique blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. It is a fantastic holiday destination for those looking to explore the beautiful Austrian countryside and immerse themselves in the rich history and culture of the region.
One of the main attractions of Graz is its historic old town, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The old town is home to numerous historic buildings, including the famous Graz Castle, which offers stunning views of the city and the surrounding countryside. Visitors can also explore the many beautiful churches and museums in the old town, such as the Graz Cathedral and the Kunsthaus Graz, which is a modern art museum that showcases the latest contemporary art exhibitions.
Graz is also known for its beautiful parks and natural surroundings, including the nearby Schlossberg Hill and the Mur River. Visitors can enjoy hiking, biking, or water sports along the Mur River or take a stroll through one of the many beautiful parks in the city, such as the City Park or the Botanical Garden.
For those interested in food and drink, Graz is a fantastic destination, with a variety of delicious traditional and modern cuisine on offer. Visitors can sample local specialties such as Styrian pumpkin seed oil and traditional Austrian dishes such as Schnitzel and Apfelstrudel. Graz is also known for its excellent wine, with many vineyards and wine tasting tours available in the surrounding countryside.
Overall, Graz is a beautiful and charming holiday destination that offers visitors a unique and authentic Austrian experience. With its stunning historic old town, beautiful natural surroundings, delicious cuisine, and vibrant atmosphere, it is sure to leave visitors with memories that will last a lifetime.
THINGS TO DO IN GRAZ
Some of the top attractions in Graz include:
- Schlossberg: A hill located in the center of Graz, with stunning views of the city and a beautiful park.
- Graz Old Town: The historic center of Graz, with beautiful architecture and a charming atmosphere.
- Kunsthaus Graz: A modern art museum with a unique architectural design and a variety of exhibits on contemporary art and culture.
- Murinsel: A floating island in the middle of the Mur River, with a cafe and event space.
- Eggenberg Palace: A stunning baroque palace located just outside of Graz, with beautiful artwork and architecture.
- Graz Cathedral: A beautiful Gothic cathedral located in the heart of Graz, with stunning stained glass windows and impressive artwork.
- Landeszeughaus: A historic armory with a wide variety of weapons and armor from the 15th to 18th centuries.
- Schloss Eggenberg Gardens: Beautiful gardens surrounding Eggenberg Palace, with a variety of plants and flowers.
- Universalmuseum Joanneum: A museum complex with a variety of exhibits on art, culture, and science.
- Lendplatz Market: A lively market with a variety of vendors selling local food, produce, and crafts.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT GRAZ
- Graz has a rich history, with evidence of human settlement dating back to the Copper Age. The city was an important center of trade and commerce in the Middle Ages, and many of its historic buildings and landmarks have been well-preserved.
- The city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, thanks to its well-preserved medieval architecture and its location in the beautiful Styrian countryside.
- Graz is home to several museums and cultural institutions, including the Graz Art Museum and the Styrian Armoury, which features a collection of historic weapons and armor.
- The city is also known for its food culture, with several traditional Austrian dishes and local specialties available in the city’s many restaurants and cafes. One popular dish is pumpkin seed oil, which is made from Styrian pumpkins and is used in a variety of dishes.
- Graz is a vibrant and cosmopolitan city, with a thriving arts and music scene. The city hosts several festivals and events throughout the year, including the Styrian Autumn Festival and the Elevate Festival, which focuses on electronic music and political discourse.
FOOD AND DRINK IN GRAZ
The city is known for its hearty meat dishes, flavorful wines, and delicious pumpkin-based specialties.
One of the most famous dishes in Graz is the Steirisches Backhendl, a fried chicken dish marinated in pumpkin seed oil and served with potato salad. Another popular dish is the Geselchtes, a smoked pork dish served with sauerkraut and dumplings.
Graz is also known for its wine production, particularly the Sauvignon Blanc and Welschriesling wines that are grown in the nearby vineyards. Visitors can sample the region’s wines at various wineries and wine taverns throughout the city.
In terms of desserts, Graz is known for its Kürbiskernöl Eis, a pumpkin seed oil ice cream that’s unique to the region, and the Topfenstrudel, a sweet pastry filled with quark cheese and served with whipped cream.
The city is also home to a diverse range of international cuisine, reflecting its multicultural population. Visitors can enjoy Turkish kebabs, Italian pasta dishes, and Asian-inspired cuisine, among other options.
Overall, Graz’s culinary scene is diverse, flavorful, and influenced by the region’s agricultural heritage and multicultural population. Visitors can sample traditional dishes and international cuisine while enjoying the city’s vibrant atmosphere and local hospitality.
As the second-largest city in Austria, Graz has a bustling nightlife scene that offers a wide range of options for locals and visitors alike.
One of the most popular areas for nightlife in Graz is the Altstadt, or Old Town, where visitors can find a variety of bars, pubs, and restaurants. The area is particularly lively on weekends, and visitors can enjoy live music and entertainment in many of the establishments.
For those who enjoy dance clubs, Graz has several options, including the Postgarage and the Parkhouse. These venues offer a range of music styles, from electronic to hip-hop, and are popular with locals and visitors alike.
Graz is also known for its cultural events, including concerts, theater performances, and festivals. The Grazer Oper is a popular venue for these events, and visitors can check their schedule for upcoming shows.
Another unique option for nightlife in Graz is the Schlossberg, a hill in the center of the city that offers stunning views and a range of bars and restaurants. Visitors can take the funicular up the hill and enjoy a drink while taking in the views of the city.
Overall, Graz’s nightlife scene is diverse and offers something for everyone, whether you’re looking for a cozy pub or a lively dance club. The city’s rich cultural offerings and stunning architecture make it a must-visit destination for those looking to experience Austria’s nightlife.
TRAVELLING AROUND THE CITY
Graz offers a range of transportation options for visitors to explore its attractions and surrounding areas.
To explore Graz, visitors can use the city’s public transportation system, which includes trams, buses, and trains. The city’s tram network is extensive, covering most of the city’s major attractions and landmarks. Graz also has a bike-sharing system, which is an eco-friendly and affordable way to get around the city.
For those interested in exploring the region, day trips from Graz to destinations such as the Styrian wine region, Schloss Eggenberg, and the Gesäuse National Park are popular choices. Visitors can take trains or buses to these destinations, with travel times ranging from 30 minutes to 2 hours.
Another popular way to explore the region is by renting a car and driving through the scenic countryside. The region around Graz is known for its stunning landscapes, charming villages, and picturesque vineyards.
Overall, traveling in and around Graz is convenient and easy, with multiple transportation options available to visitors. It’s worth noting that during peak hours, the city’s public transportation system can be crowded, so it’s advisable to plan your travel accordingly.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT GRAZ?
The best time to visit Graz depends on your interests and the type of experience you are looking for.
If you are interested in outdoor activities and exploring the city’s natural beauty, the best time to visit Graz is during the summer months (June to August). The weather is warm and pleasant, and you can explore the many parks, gardens, and hiking trails around the city. You can also attend the many outdoor events and festivals, such as the La Strada street theater festival or the Styrian Wine Festival.
For those who prefer a more cultural experience, the best time to visit Graz is during the shoulder season of spring (April to May) or autumn (September to October). During these months, the weather is mild, and the city hosts several cultural events, including classical music concerts, art exhibitions, and theater performances. You can also explore the city’s historic landmarks, such as the Graz Clock Tower or the Graz Cathedral.
If you prefer a vibrant and lively atmosphere, the best time to visit Graz is during the winter months (December to February). The city is covered in snow, and you can enjoy the winter festivities and markets or visit the many bars and clubs in the city’s Old Town.
Overall, Graz is a beautiful city with something to offer year-round, and the best time to visit depends on your interests and preferences.
GRAZ GEOGRAPHY AND CLIMATE
The city is situated on the banks of the Mur river and is surrounded by hills and forests, including the Graz Highlands. The geography of Graz is characterized by a mix of urban areas and natural landscapes, including parks, gardens, and the nearby Schöckl mountain.
The climate in Graz is a transition between maritime and continental, with warm summers and cold winters. Average temperatures in January range from -4°C to 2°C, while July temperatures can reach up to 26°C. Precipitation is spread throughout the year, with heavier rainfall in the summer months.
GRAZ TRAVEL GUIDES
Graz is the perfect destination for some time away from home however make sure you plan ahead to not miss out on the best destinations and receive local knowledge. Shop for a good Graz travel guide on Amazon today and keep it in your bag during your stay.