Carinthia, or Kärnten, located in the southern part of Austria, is a state that offers a perfect mix of stunning natural beauty, outdoor activities, and cultural attractions. From crystal-clear lakes to picturesque mountain villages and historic landmarks, Carinthia is a great holiday destination for all types of travellers.
One of the main attractions of Carinthia is its breathtaking natural beauty. The region is home to numerous beautiful lakes, including the famous Wörthersee and Millstätter See, which offer crystal-clear waters perfect for swimming, boating, and other water sports. The region is also home to stunning alpine landscapes, with many hiking and biking trails that offer breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
Carinthia is also known for its rich cultural heritage, with numerous historic towns and cities, including the beautiful city of Klagenfurt. Visitors can explore the city’s charming old town and impressive landmarks, such as the Klagenfurt Cathedral and the Lindwurm Fountain. The region is also home to many museums and cultural events, such as the Carinthian Summer Music Festival.
Carinthia is also famous for its delicious cuisine, with a variety of traditional dishes that showcase the region’s fresh and flavorful ingredients. Local specialties include Carinthian Kasnudeln, a type of pasta filled with cheese and herbs, and the famous Carinthian Reindling, a sweet yeast cake.
For those seeking relaxation and wellness, Carinthia offers numerous spa resorts and thermal baths, such as the famous Römerbad in Bad Kleinkirchheim. Visitors can enjoy a variety of wellness treatments, including massages, saunas, and hot springs, while taking in the beautiful surroundings.
Overall, Carinthia is a fantastic holiday destination that offers a unique and unforgettable experience. With its stunning natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and delicious cuisine, it is sure to leave visitors with memories that will last a lifetime.
|Currency||Euro: € (EUR)|
|Time Zone||Central European Standard Time: GMT+1|
Central European Summer Time: GMT+2
THINGS TO DO IN CARINTHIA
Carinthia is a stunning state in Austria known for its crystal-clear lakes, stunning alpine landscapes, and a variety of activities for visitors to enjoy. From swimming and boating to skiing and hiking, Carinthia offers something for everyone.
One of the top attractions in Carinthia is Lake Wörthersee, one of the largest lakes in Austria. Visitors can swim in the lake’s clear waters, take a boat ride, or simply relax on the beaches. The lake is also surrounded by charming towns and villages, such as Velden and Pörtschach, where visitors can enjoy traditional Austrian cuisine and explore historic landmarks.
Another must-visit attraction in Carinthia is the Grossglockner High Alpine Road, one of the most scenic drives in Europe. The road winds through the stunning alpine landscapes of the Hohe Tauern National Park, offering breathtaking views of glaciers, peaks, and valleys.
For those interested in history and culture, Carinthia offers several interesting sites, such as the city of Klagenfurt, the state’s capital. Klagenfurt is home to several museums, such as the Carinthian Museum of Modern Art and the Museum of Natural History, as well as historic landmarks such as the Lindwurm statue and the Renaissance-style City Hall.
Finally, Carinthia is known for its delicious cuisine, particularly its famous Kärntner Kasnudeln (Carinthian cheese dumplings) and Reindling (sweet bread with raisins and cinnamon). Visitors can indulge in these and other traditional Austrian dishes at local restaurants and cafes throughout the region.
Overall, Carinthia is a region with a diverse range of attractions and activities that are sure to delight visitors. Whether you’re interested in nature, culture, history, or food and drink, there’s something for everyone to enjoy in this beautiful part of Austria.
PLACES TO VISIT IN CARINTHIA
Carinthia in southern Austria known for its beautiful lakes, mountain landscapes, and rich history. Here are some of the best towns and cities to visit in Carinthia:
- Klagenfurt – Klagenfurt is the capital city of Carinthia and is situated on the beautiful Lake Wörthersee. It is known for its well-preserved historic architecture, including its castle and town walls, as well as its charming old town and lakeside promenade.
- Villach – Villach is a historic town located on the Drau River, near the border with Italy and Slovenia. It is known for its well-preserved medieval architecture, including its castle and town walls, as well as its beautiful surrounding landscape.
- Velden – Velden is a popular lakeside resort town located on the beautiful Lake Wörthersee. It is known for its luxury hotels, casinos, and lively atmosphere, as well as its stunning alpine scenery.
- Bad Kleinkirchheim – Bad Kleinkirchheim is a small alpine village known for its natural hot springs and world-class ski resort. It is a popular destination for winter sports enthusiasts, as well as those seeking relaxation and wellness.
- Spittal an der Drau – Spittal an der Drau is a historic town located in the Drau Valley. It is known for its well-preserved medieval architecture, including its castle and town walls, as well as its beautiful surrounding landscape and cultural events.
- Feldkirchen in Kärnten – Feldkirchen in Kärnten is a charming town located on the Glan River. It is known for its well-preserved historic architecture, including its castle and town walls, as well as its beautiful surrounding landscape and cultural events.
These are just a few of the many towns and cities worth visiting in Carinthia. Each one has its own unique charm and attractions that make it a worthwhile destination for travellers.
INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT CARINTHIA
- The state is known for its many beautiful lakes, including Lake Wörthersee, which is one of the largest and most popular lakes in Austria. The lake is surrounded by picturesque towns and villages and is a popular destination for swimming, boating, and other water sports.
- Carinthia is also home to the historic city of Klagenfurt, which is known for its well-preserved Old Town and Renaissance-era buildings. The city is also home to several museums and cultural institutions, including the Museum of Modern Art.
- The state has a rich cultural heritage, with influences from neighboring countries like Italy and Slovenia. This is reflected in its cuisine, which includes dishes like Kärntner Nudeln (Carinthian pasta) and Reindling (a traditional cake).
- Carinthia is known for its ski resorts, including the popular ski areas of Nassfeld and Bad Kleinkirchheim. The region also offers plenty of opportunities for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and other winter activities.
- The state is home to several important natural landmarks, including the Hohe Tauern National Park, which is the largest national park in Austria. The park is home to several impressive peaks, including the Grossglockner, the highest mountain in Austria.
FOOD AND DRINK IN CARINTHIA
The region is known for its freshwater fish, hearty meat dishes, and delicious pastries.
One of the most famous dishes in Carinthia is the Kärntner Kasnudeln, a pasta filled with spiced cheese and served with melted butter and crispy bacon. Another popular dish is the Würstel, a type of sausage served with mustard and bread.
Carinthia is also known for its freshwater fish dishes, such as the Forelle Müllerin, a trout dish served with butter and almonds. The region is home to several types of schnapps, which are fruit brandies made from locally grown fruits, such as apricots and plums.
In terms of desserts, Carinthia is known for its Reindling, a sweet bread with a cinnamon and sugar filling, and the Topfenstrudel, a pastry filled with sweetened cheese.
The region is also famous for its wines, such as the Weissburgunder and Blaufränkisch, which can be sampled at various wineries and vineyards throughout the region.
Overall, Carinthia’s culinary scene is diverse, flavorful, and influenced by the region’s geography and cultural heritage. Visitors can sample traditional dishes and modern fusion cuisine while enjoying the region’s stunning natural beauty and local hospitality.
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT CARINTHIA?
The best time to visit Carinthia depends on your interests and the type of experience you are looking for.
If you are interested in water sports and outdoor activities, the best time to visit Carinthia is during the summer months (June to August). The weather is warm, and the region’s crystal-clear lakes are perfect for swimming, boating, and other water activities. You can also hike, cycle, or climb the mountains or visit the stunning Hohe Tauern National Park. Additionally, during the summer months, Carinthia hosts several cultural events and festivals, such as the Carinthian Summer Music Festival and the Villacher Kirchtag.
For those who prefer winter sports, the best time to visit Carinthia is during the winter months (December to February). The region has several ski resorts, including the popular Nassfeld Ski Arena and the Mölltal Glacier, where you can enjoy skiing, snowboarding, and other winter activities.
If you prefer a mix of culture and outdoor activities, the best time to visit Carinthia is during the shoulder seasons of spring (April to May) and autumn (September to November). During these months, the temperature is mild, and the region is covered in beautiful fall colors or colorful spring blooms. You can explore the charming towns and villages, visit the historic castles and churches, or hike and cycle through the breathtaking landscapes.
Overall, Carinthia is a beautiful region with something to offer year-round, and the best time to visit depends on your interests and preferences.
CARINTHIA GEOGRAPHY AND CLIMATE
The geography of Carinthia is characterized by the Eastern Alps, including the Hohe Tauern mountain range, and is home to many lakes, including the famous Wörthersee and Millstätter See. The province is also known for its rivers, including the Drava and Gail.
The climate in Carinthia is typically Alpine, with cold winters and mild summers. Average temperatures in January range from -4°C to -8°C, while July temperatures can reach up to 25°C. Precipitation is spread throughout the year, with heavier rainfall in the summer months.
CARINTHIA TRAVEL GUIDES
Carinthia is the perfect destination for some time away from home however make sure you plan ahead to not miss out on the best destinations and receive local knowledge. Shop for a good Carinthia travel guide on Amazon today and keep it in your bag during your stay.